Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Keum Boo

The art clinic held a class this weekend on Keum boo and Carl Stanley, Silversmith and teacher extrodinair taught a very enthusiastic group. That was Saturday and today, Tuesday I spent a few hours bonding 24k gold to some of my metal clay (fine silver) pieces. Keum boo is an ancient Korean metalsmithing technique in which gold is bonded to silver. It is relatively simple, you just need the right equipment. I have wnated to learn this technique for years and had practically everything needed, but i was scared to do it!?! Why you may ask. Sometimes I get freakout by heat, but that is changing. Carl Stanley http://carlstanleyjewelryarts.com/is an excellent, giving, caring teacher. We want him back at the ART CLINIC.


I made these in the class. I am longing for a disc cutter.
My husband bought me a rolling press because he spoils me. We went to Harbor Freight to look at a hydraulic press and they had a rolling press. I didn't twist his arm, just looked longingly at it. I haven't played a lot with it as I need to bolt it down. So far I love it!!! The silver below was pressed with sequin scrap.
The silver below was pressed with a piece of copper that I had etched previously.

No comments: